Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Funky Breakage

Keeping in the spirit of trying to get a mix sounding better I bring to you Funky Breakage. This is another mixed that I've gotten to work on after a quick flick through and star rate of my Funky Breakbeat selection. There isn't much in it to be honest and it's not got a hell of an amount of Funk in the Breaks. But maybe that's where I should start focussing when I choose music.

Now it's not only about going for what I like as much as what I'd like to DJ with.

I got into this set and it could have been a full hour. I let my desire to spin 'Decapitation' in a mix get the better of me where it wasn't strictly a god idea. There's certainly nothing Funky about 'Decapitation' nor 'Countdown' .. So basically I ruined the end hahaha .. I've gotta laugh at myself for rendering these silly mistakes at the end of a mix. I'm downing tools and on my way to do something else in my mind before the last track drops.



That's the mix, but I've also had a go at my remixes and mashups again.

I reworked an earlier mashup featuring Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby and a Benny Benassi Remix of Outkast - Ghetto Music. Too much rushing for no reason :( It could sound a hella lot better than it does. Maybe when I'm inspired to do another mashup it will be tweaked in all the right places.


What else? I've been playing with Hydrogen Drum Machine again in Linux. I rearranged some sequences and built them up to time when exported to wav and mixed a Michael Jackson acapella over the top.

I did it a couple of times with a couple of drum sequences. I then added some other sounds by playing another track over one of the drum/vocal recordings. It sounds rather messy but I know what I'm listening for and given the chance I'd re-work this in a proper studio with someone who knows what they're doing. Better still I can get to understand my levels even further and produce multi-layered smooth sounding mashups and remixes. After all, it's not strictly true that one has to spend the Earth on hi tech gear - the idea should be master and exploit what ever is available until one can go no further :)

At the moment, a finished mix leads to thinking up a name and rendering something in the way of artwork to accompany each mix. Any remix or mashup being uploaded is also subject to having accompanying moving graphics to make viewing the track on youtube slightly more interesting. Wouldn't it be nice to be paid to do my hobby on a day to day :) This processing of events takes hours. Then blogging it and posting links to uploads is also time consuming.