Tuesday, 14 December 2010

Long time no Entry ..

So what's been happening since my last entry? Not a lot really to be honest.

I'm 12 days away from having my first gig which is happening on Boxing Day. It's taken a test of will to develop the idea to now being expectant of a full house. The idea of putting on a gig has been bounced around between myself, Mr Lewis and 2Ba:Bu for a few months now. We were hoping shotty would have played a part and featured in our plans but it seems he has opted out. Nonetheless, without any prior knowledge of putting on an event the three of us persevered, obtained a venue free of charge, printed tickets at no immediate cost, hired a sound and lighting rig for a flexible fee and are in the process of rounding up the guests to come and have a Big Bad Boxing Night with us 8til8.

I'm not going to include the names of any additional people right now as our event is going to be pretty much underground with no open-door policy. It fits the category of a 'rave' more so than a Christmas Party, but if you know what a 'Free Party' is and the culture that is woven into it's fabric then you'll have a good idea of what we're in the process of achieving.

Thing haven't been straight forward. Everything has required planning, replanning and then replanning the replanning. We're not being stuck up about the whole thing so we've even invited guests to bring records if they wish to play a set; with our prior knowledge of course. We, as the organisers, do not see it as our party, but "OUR" party. It's for everyone invited so were not going to be the entertainers for the whole 12 hours even though we could quite easily do this between us. This has attracted a few known DJs who are going to come along with their vinyl & friends which helps to fill the venue.

We had it in mind to charge our guests £3.50 entry with the hope of 125 people turning in. This idea was supposed to fun out sound and lighting. We've since scrapped this idea and are making it a ticket only Free Party. If people choose to offer a donation throughout the night for our troubles then they can, but were not going make it a policy to buy a ticket. If it wasn't for our Sound & Lighting Man being so flexible we wouldn't have been able to throw a night at all. Big Thanks to S & P, respectively Venue, Light & Sound.

So that's a brief summary of some of what's been going on musically. Party Planning!

Even though shotty decided recently to stop communicating with me for a few weeks, there is still hope that me and him will be putting on a gig at a night club in Leicestershire around the end of January 2011. It would be nice to start the year as I mean to go on which is putting to use everything I've learned about DJing so far. Ideally I'd like to be involved with putting on a minimum of 10 gigs in the new year, preferably more. So fingers crossed, shotty will stop being Mr sulky pants because operating as a quartet collective the four of us could take our individual interests in music much further than we could if we continue to move solo. The options are still open, I'll know what I'm doing once Boxing Day has been a success and the talk of the town. I've already designed the January event Flyer and sent it to shotty and he says he likes it. Hopefully this will keep the vision alive. It would be ace if he came to the Boxing Day jam and brought his missus but it's up to him really.

Hmm, what else has gone on? I've had the flu for a week and didn't have a mix for a whole week. I was hopeful that my mixing wouldn't have turned shabby due to the time off. I must be out of the beginner DJ phase now because I've come back as strong as ever. I'm currently listening to today's set and it's sounds sick. If I play like this on party night, regardless of what people say, I'll feel very ready to go on and play more than one set. I can't wait for the feedback when I upload it. I expect this will be leading my downloads ranking within 7 days. But there again, Breakbeat is one of those init? lol

I've uploaded 5 mixes since my last blog entry but I won't talk about all of them in any detail. I acquired some more tunes and tried to add some variety to my flow. Having played a lot of my old stock multiple times and in different orders I though it was full time I tried something a little more fresh. I also went though my track collections sifting out the dull sounding tracks and categorising many of my tracks by sound quality. this has helped tremendously with achieving more volume-balanced sets. I came to realise that I was trying to get the software's EQ to over compensate for dull tracks. Now things are sounding much much better, although some of the tracks I like to play have now had to be sidelined due to sound quality issues.

What else can I add? Hmm, not much really. I think I've typed enough. My next entry will accompany today's recording and upload in a couple hours time.